Ellen G. Makofsky
Garden City, New York
Email Me: info@MakofskyLaw.com
Ellen G. Makofsky received a 2020 Lifetime Achievement Award from the New York State Bar Association’s Elder Law and Special Needs Section for her Advocacy and Representation of the Elderly and Persons with Disabilities. She was also recently nominated by her peers for the 7th time as a Top 50 Woman SuperLawyer for 2021, and in 2017, she received a Lifetime Achievement Award for Leadership in Law from Long Island Business News. She is proud to announce her firm was selected the 2018 Best Elder Law Firm on Long Island, NY.
Ellen G. Makofsky is the founder of Makofsky Law Group, P.C., an Elder Law and Estate Planning firm based in Long Island, NY. Ms. Makofsky has concentrated her practice in Elder Law, Trusts and Estates, Probate and Estate Administration, and Guardianships for over three decades. The National Elder Law Foundation has named her a certified elder law attorney (“CELA”).
Ellen has received the designation of SuperLawyer in The Elder Law category for 14 consecutive years. Additionally, she was named as a Top 50 Woman SuperLawyer on 7 occasions. She was also selected by her peers for inclusion in the 2014-2020 editions of Best Lawyers. Ms. Makofsky served 3 terms as Secretary of the New York State Bar Association (“NYSBA”) and served on its Executive Committee for 10 years. She served as Chair of the Continuing Legal Education Committee of NYSBA whose purpose is to provide updated legal education to attorneys in New York State. Ms. Makofsky has also chaired NYSBA’s Publications Committee and NYSBA’s Women in the Law Committee. Ms. Makofsky is a member of the Executive Committee of the NYSBA Trusts and Estate Section. Ms. Makofsky served as the President of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, New York Chapter. She is a Past Chair of the NYSBA Elder Law and Special Needs Section. Ms. Makofsky is a past President of the Estate Planning Council of Nassau County, Inc. Ms. Makofsky is a member of Nassau County Bar Association and its Elder Law, Social Services and Health Advisory Committee and the Surrogate’s Court Trusts and Estates Committee. She is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. (“NAELA”).
Ms. Makofsky is a former President and a founder of the Sun Council Inc. She is one of the founders of the Senior Umbrella Network of Queens and is a past chair of the organization. In addition, she is former co-chair of Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation (“LIAF”) Legal Advisory Board and is past president of the Gerontology Professionals of Long Island, Nassau Chapter. She is a former co-chair of the Senior Umbrella Network of Nassau. Ms. Makofsky served on the Board of the Children’s Center of Port Washington, and as a Trustee of Landmark on Main Street and was a member of the board of the Community Chest of Port Washington, both groups being community-based organizations in Port Washington, NY.
Ms. Makofsky writes on Elder Law and Trust and Estate topics frequently. She spent many years authoring an Advanced Directives News Column which appeared in a quarterly publication from the New York State Bar Association.
Ms. Makofsky was named as a 2014 Top Woman in Long Island by Long Island Business News. Ms. Makofsky was also named a 2010 Woman of Distinction by the 7th Senatorial District of New York State. Ms. Makofsky received the 2009 award from the NYSBA Elder Law Section for her efforts in furtherance of the rights of the elderly and persons with disabilities. In past years, Ms. Makofsky was also honored by the Long Island Alzheimer’s Association, The Visiting Nurse Association of Long Island and the Nassau County Bar Association for the services she has provided to the elderly. Ms. Makofsky has appeared on the radio and television and is a frequent guest lecturer and workshop leader for professional and community groups.
Ellen G. Makofsky is a cum laude graduate of Brooklyn Law School and is the founder of Makofsky Law Group, P.C. and its predecessor firms, Makofsky & Associates, P.C., and Raskin & Makofsky, LLP.
Areas of Practice
- Elder Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Probate and Estate Administration
- Special Needs Planning
- Disability Planning
- Asset Protection
- Medicaid Planning and Applications
- Health Care Proxies, Living Wills and Durable Powers of Attorney
- Certified Elder Law Attorney, National Elder Law Foundation, 2003
- New York, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1986
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1995
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1995
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York, 1985
Honors: Cum Laude
- Queens College of the City of New York, Queens, New York
- Boston University, Boston, New York, 1966
- Advance Directive News Column, NYSBA, Quarterly Column
- Improving Long Term Care, New York Law Journal
- Ask the Expert-Yes, Mom Can Buy Your Help, Newsday
- Elderly Will Suffer With Medicaid Change, Times Union
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyer
- Best Lawyer
- Top Women on Long Island
- 100 Top Super Lawyer
- 50 Top Women Super Lawyer
- 7th Senatorial District Woman of Distinction
- Long Island Business News
- New York State Bar Association
- Nassau County Bar Association
- Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation
- Visiting Nurse Service of Long Island
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, 2013-2017
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, New York Chapter
- Estate Planning Council of Nassau, Inc.
- New York State Bar Association, Elder Law Section
Chair, 2006 – 2007
- New York State Bar Association, House of Delegates, 2005 – 2017
- The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- The Estate Planning Council of Nassau County, Inc.
Vice President, 2010
- Nassau Bar Association, 1991 – 2021
- Senior Umbrella Network of Queens, 2006 – 2007
- Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation Legal Advisory Board, 2005 – 2006
- Senior Umbrella Network of Nassau, 2003 – 2005
- Gerontology Professionals of Long Island, Nassau Chapter, 2001 – 2003
Past Employment Positions
- Garwin, Bronzaft, Gerstein & Fisher, 1985 – 1991
Pro Bono Activities
- Nassau County Bar Association Senior Clinic, 2004 – 2018
- Founder NYSBA Elder Law Section Pro Bono Senior Clinic, 2006 – 2021
CALL US FOR PEACE OF MIND TODAY
PHONE: (516) 228-6522
FAX: (516) 228-6525
600 OLD COUNTRY ROAD - SUITE 444 GARDEN CITY, NEW YORK 11530-2009
SATURDAY & SUNDAY CLOSED
SE FALA PORTUGUÊS
HOW CAN WE HELP?
LOCATED IN GARDEN CITY, NEW YORK, MAKOFSKY LAW GROUP, P.C. (formerly Makofsky & Associates, P.C. formerly Raskin & Makofsky, LLP) HAS SERVED CLIENTS IN AREAS INCLUDING LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK CITY, MANHATTAN, QUEENS, BROOKLYN, BRONX, WHITE PLAINS, MINEOLA, HEMPSTEAD, LEVITTOWN, MASSAPEQUA, BETHPAGE, SYOSSET, OYSTER BAY, GLEN COVE, PORT WASHINGTON, MANHASSET, GREAT NECK, WOODMERE, VALLEY STREAM, ELMONT, FLORAL PARK, FLUSHING, KEW GARDENS AND FOREST HILLS, NEW HYDE PARK, EAST MEADOW, PLAINVIEW, Merrick, Westbury, Long Beach, Oceanside, Franklin Square, Huntington and Rockville Centre.
Attorney Advertising: Information contained in this website may be considered attorney advertising. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.
*Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation as approved by the American Bar Association. Certification is not required for the practice of law in the State of New York.